Return to Cuba

August 2012

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Philippians 4:19 – And my God shall supply all your needs according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus

“One of the most amazing experiences about preparing for a mission trip is seeing how God works and provides.” ~ Heather Wooten

We had to share the story of Flora Brooks. Already, God is providing and preparing each of us to serve the Cuban people. Monday was a HORRIBLE day….then came Tuesday!

Flora Brooks
On this journey to follow the Lord’s lead to Cuba, I have been faced with many stumbling blocks. I have NEVER flown before and the sheer mention of a plane makes my muscles tighten with fear, I do not have a passport, and I need to raise $2000.00 BEFORE June. These all seem like daunting tasks, but doable. The Lord said for me to go, so I am going. Pure trust….or is it? I applied for my passport, sent out support letters asking for donations and attempted in every way possible to sell tickets to the first group fundraiser. No response. Not one! I began to panic – or what I consider panic, crying. Monday was horrible. I began questioning if it was truly God’s plan for me to join this mission, or if it was a personal desire. Was this really what the Lord intended for me? Have I really been following Him or myself? I cried for what seemed like hours. I prayed, cried, and prayed some more. Finally, I fell asleep. Tuesday morning I awoke with an annoyance that lasted well past noon. At 1:41pm, I received an email from an old friend, an email that would change my life forever. Amber and I grew up together in a small town east of Charlotte. We actually served together as youth on a mission trip in Atlanta with our home church. It has been close to twenty years since we served together. Coincidently, we now both live in South Charlotte and, although we have not seen each other in almost 2 years, both attend Forest Hill. Her reply was regarding an email I sent several days prior asking friends and co-workers for support concerning our mission to Cuba. As I read her email, tears began to fill my eyes…every word changed my world. Her email read


“Hey lady,I haven't heard from you in a while. I hope you are doing well!I have to tell you that your note was very timely. Here is why: Since I came back to work from Maturity leave, things have been really slow. In early January, I honestly was wondering how I was going to make my house payments. All I could do was pray about it and hope that things would get better.In February, it got so bad that I was almost 30 days behind on my house payment and groceries were getting paid by credit card! Again, I just kept praying about it, knowing eventually things would have to get better.One night last month, I was trying to see if I had an extra $40 to put in my bank account until I got paid to ensure my outstanding checks wouldn't bounce, when I noticed an envelope in with my junk mail. It was from my old mortgage company. I opened it up and there a letter stating that they had "overcharged" me at my 2006 closing and that they owed me money. In the envelope was a check for not $40, or $400, but $4800! All I could do was cry. I called my mom and she joined in with me. She told me to remember that "God was always on time", and I will never forget it.I asked God that night to please let me know where to gift the extra money I didn't need. I have been waiting almost a month now, and started to feel guilty about not finding something to do with it. I just told God to please show me where he wanted it to go. Which leads me to your email. As soon as I opened it I knew that is where my money was supposed to be. I am so proud of you for going! I still remember going to ATL with Stewartsville back in the day and the smiles on those kids faces.Below is a confirmation of funds needed for your trip. The check should be mailed out this week. Hopefully, this will be "on time" for you as well and I am so glad I got the opportunity to pay it forward.”



As an attachment to her email, Amber included a confirmation of donation. The destination was to Flora Brooks- mission trip to Cuba – Donation amount: $2000. In disbelief, I read the email again, and again, and again. In fact I read it so many times I think I memorized every word. I was in total awe! Barely able to speak, I called my Mom to share the news, and she joined in with me as I cried. Unlike the night before, this cry was not out of frustration, self pity or doubt….this cry was TOTAL joy, humbleness, and love. The Lord taught me a host of lessons through this act of faithfulness and obedience, but none greater than TRUST. TRUST that the Lord will make a way, TRUST that the Lord will keep me safe, TRUST that the Lord will provide our every need, and above all TRUST, TRUST, TRUST.

1 comment:

Doc's Musings said...

When she shared this at our Church, many were in tears! What a great and marvelous on-time God we serve.

Dr. Thomas Marshall
New Hope Baptist Church
Laurinburg, NC.